Friday, July 2, 2010

Peas, Peas, and more Peas….

Well I haven’t posted anything in a long time. But here recently I have been busy taking care of two gardens. My husband built me an 8x8 raised garden in our back yard and then we planted a big garden in our pasture. The big garden was 200 ft long (maybe a little longer) and I have no idea how wide. We planted 3 rows of purple hull peas, 3 rows of sadandy peas, 2 ½ rows of field corn, and a ½ of a row of watermelons. The corn didn’t do good because we had a severe lack of rain. The peas did pretty good considering the lack of rain. My watermelons are still growing and the last time I counted I had 18. Yay! Hopefully they will continue to produce and I can’t wait till they get big enough to eat. I hope they turn out to be really sweet. I found this recipe for a melon salad that I really want to try. I will have to post the recipe later.

In the raised garden I planted squash, zucchini, okra, tomatoes, egg plants, sweet & hot banana peppers, bell peppers, and jalapeño peppers. The only thing that didn’t really produce well was my bell peppers and I am not sure why. Right as they all started producing we had a bad storm to come through and it hailed for two solid minutes (the size of golf balls) and the wind was really bad. The storm almost destroyed my zucchini plants and it knocked over almost all of my pepper plants. I went out and tried to stand them back up and I am wondering if that storm is the reason my bell pepper plants didn’t produce….who knows.


Here are some pictures of my gardens:

This was the raised garden not long after I planted it.


This was part of the big garden.


This is some of the sadandy peas.


A yellow watermelon.


A red watermelon.

I will try and get more recent pictures loaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment